Westridge is an established river valley neighbourhood located in mature West Edmonton. It is also considered one of Edmonton’s perfect all-in-one communities, defined by mature trees, open green spaces, convenient commuter roads, and ultra-popular amenities.
And a great location is just the start.
Thanks to the area’s vast offering of high-end single-family homes, Westridge remains one of the most highly sought-after neighbourhoods in the entire capital region.
Striking the perfect balance between semi-seclusion and easy accessibility, Westridge is bounded by 170th Street to the west, Whitemud Drive to the north, the North Saskatchewan River Valley to the east/southeast and Wolf Willow Road to the south. The community is also defined by two scenic ravines, Wolf Willow and Patricia ravine(s), offering homeowners panoramic views of the surrounding river valley. Westridge is also celebrated for its many trails and pathways, which promote pedestrian travel and provide interconnectivity to adjoining neighbourhoods.
The land comprising Westridge was once used for agricultural purposes. 80% of development in Westridge occurred during the 1970s, with the remaining built out during the 1980s. Westridge’s road design consists predominantly of quiet crescents and curvilinear streets to slow traffic and maintain a peaceful atmosphere.
Before residential development, Westridge was known as Wolf Willow Farm. In honour of the former farm, many streets within the community start with the letter “W” or incorporate the name “Wolf” or “Willow.” (Source: City of Edmonton)
Price Range and Housing Stock
Luxury single-family homes account for over 90% of home styles in Westridge. Even though most homes were built during the 1970s and 80s, these properties have been carefully maintained. Roomy double detached models are most common, equipped with an average of 2,500 square feet and unique architectural features. Westridge homes also have four or more bedrooms, bathrooms, and oversized lots with mature trees and landscaping.
Simply put, families in search of spacious luxury homes boasting plenty of character will find what they’re looking for in Westridge.
There are also a small number of low-maintenance townhomes in Westridge, particularly in the community’s southeast end.
Due to Westridge’s exceptional river-side location, home prices tend to fall above the Edmonton average. Prices may start as low as $595,000 for a renovated 2,500 square foot property and range upwards of $1.1 M for 4,400 square feet or more. *
See also: Your Guide to West Edmonton Real Estate
Standard Luxury Features
Luxury homes in Westridge typically offer the very best in modern and high-end upgrades. These include everything from new roofing, siding and windows to finished basements, functional floor plans, energy-efficient systems and appliances. But that’s not all.
Additional luxury features to expect from a Westridge home may include:
- Formal living and dining areas
- Grand entryways
- Spa-like ensuites (soaker tubs, walk-in glass showers, dual vanities, heated flooring, ceramic tile and tile backsplashes, etc.)
- King-sized master suites with walk-in closets
- Chef’s kitchens (wood cabinetry, quartz/granite countertops, tile backsplash, dining nooks, eat-in islands, stainless steel appliances, etc.)
- Hardwood flooring
- Ample storage
- High ceilings
- Custom millwork
- Designer lighting
- Dens/flex rooms/bonus rooms/rec rooms
- Upper floor laundry
- Convenient mudrooms
- Wet bars
- Wine cellars
- Double and triple-heated attached garages
- Outdoor entertainment spaces (decks, patios, hot tubs, etc.)
- Ravine and river valley views
- And more!
As a means of reducing traffic to the area, there are no commercial amenities in Westridge. Instead, homeowners enjoy having streamlined access to West Edmonton’s best amenities via 170th Street and Whitemud Drive. In addition, popular shopping destinations, including The Marketplace at Callingwood, Meadowlark Shopping Centre and the world-famous West Edmonton Mall (800+ stores and services and 12 world-class attractions), can all be reached in under 10 minutes.
Besides the North Saskatchewan River Valley, Patricia and Wolf Will ravines, Westridge includes an active community league, playground, tennis courts, skating rink, and sports fields. The Edmonton Country Club is also within 5 minutes of the neighbourhood, as is Callingwood Park (Callingwood Twin Arenas, splash park, skate park, etc.) and the Jamie Platz Family YMCA.
Other popular amenities near Westridge include:
- Depot 170 – PetSmart, Toys R Us, The Keg, Starbucks, Chapters, The Home Depot, etc.
- Derrick Golf and Winter Club
- Edmonton Valley Zoo
- Fort Edmonton Park
- Fred Broadstock Outdoor Swimming Pool
- Jasper Place Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Lewis Estates Golf Course
- Mayfield Common – Save-on-Foods, Winners, JYSK, various restaurants, etc.
- Misericordia Hospital
- Rainbow Valley Park
- SmartCentres Edmonton West – Walmart, RONA, multiple restaurants, etc.
- Snow Valley Ski Club
- Terra Losa Shopping Centre – Safeway, Staples, Marshalls, etc.
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- Westpoint Centre – Canadian Tire, Mark’s, Schanks Sports Grill, etc.
- And more
*Average prices subject to change based on current real estate inventory
Are you considering buying a luxury home in Edmonton? As one of Edmonton’s leading real estate teams, the Terry Paranych Real Estate Group has the skills, professionalism, and experience to find the perfect high-end home to match your distinct tastes and lifestyle. For more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
We also invite you to take advantage of our free luxury buyer’s resources below:
- The Terry Paranych Group Dream Home Finder: Our Dream Home Finder will guide you to your perfect luxury home.
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Edmonton Neighbourhood: Choosing from the many unique communities in and around Edmonton can be challenging. Help is available in our free guide.
- Edmonton’s Top Infill Communities: Check out our free Top Infill Communities guide to learn more about the many infill communities in our city.
- Your Ultimate Guide to Edmonton Real Estate: With detailed information about Edmonton's distinct quadrants and vibrant communities, our eBook provides comprehensive information regarding Edmonton's home styles, features, and average pricing.
Photo credits: shutterstock.comPosted by Terry Paranych on