Ottewell is one of the largest neighbourhoods in Edmonton. It is also one of city’s most mature communities, first established in the 1950s. The area boasts a welcoming, family-friendly atmosphere, in addition to quiet, tree-lined streets and established amenities. Ottewell is also well known for its detached homes, ideal for families searching for an upgraded home in a neighbourhood near it all.
Did you know? Ottewell was formerly called East Glenora and East Edmonton Park in the 1910s. Finally, the community was named after the Ottewell family, who settled in the Cloverbar area in the late 1800s. The Ottewell’s historic log cabin is on display in Fort Edmonton Park. (Source: City of Edmonton)
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Ottewell
Detached homes account for nearly 80% of real estate opportunities in Ottewell. Most single-family homes in the neighbourhood were built after WWII, with an emphasis on attractive bungalows on large lots. Featuring an average of four bedrooms and three bathrooms, these family-friendly properties include 1,200+ square feet of flexible living space, finished basements and double-detached garages. What attracts buyers most to these older, renovated homes, however, is their unique architectural details, ample yard space and modern upgrades that include:
- Custom kitchens with ample counter space and natural wood cabinetry, stone countertops, built-in food centres, eat-in islands, stainless steel appliances, tile backsplashes, etc.
- Open concept floorplans
- Natural hardwood and/or low-maintenance flooring
- Energy-efficient systems
- Feature walls
- Spacious ensuites
- Walk-in closets
- Vaulted ceilings
- Oversized windows
- Wood burning fireplaces
- Dens, recreation and flex rooms
- Wet bars
- Saunas and hot tubs
- Cold storage
- Rooftop balconies
- Outdoor entertainment spaces featuring gazebos, patios, tiered decks, etc.
- Mature landscaping, old trees, vegetable gardens, etc.
- And more!
Average Listing Price in Ottewell: $409,000
See Homes For Sale in Ottewell
Did you know? Ottewell has an excellent Livability Score of 74%. Homeowners love living in the area thanks to its proximity to amenities, schools and low cost of living.
Southeast Central Amenities
Homeowners in Ottewell enjoy having a large shopping hub within arms’ reach. Capilano Mall, located in the community’s northeast end, features several big-box retailers, including Walmart, Safeway, Banking institutions, restaurants and more. Ottewell is also located within 5 minutes of Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre and less than 10 minutes from downtown Edmonton. Last but not least, Ottewell is near the many unique shops, pubs and eateries of trendy Whyte Ave.
Check out: Edmonton Community Spotlight: Bonnie Doon
Other amenities near Ottewell include:
- Art Gallery of Alberta
- Capilano Mall
- Citadel Theatre
- City Arts Centre
- Edmonton City Centre (mall)
- Edmonton Convention Centre
- Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market
- Edmonton Public Library
- Jasper Ave (a hub for restaurants, cafes, pubs, boutique shops and services and more)
- Muttart Conservatory
- The Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market
- Rogers Place / Ice District
- Royal Alberta Museum
- The Stollery Children’s Hospital
- Southgate Centre
- The University of Alberta Hospital
- Winspear Centre
- Winston Churchill Square
- And much more
Did you know? Over 700 different species of plants are displayed in the Muttart Conservatory, which features three different climates (pyramids) - tropical, temperate, and arid. Additionally, it is one of Edmonton’s most iconic landmarks.
Parks and Recreation
Situated near Gold Bar Park, the Mill Creek Ravine and the North Saskatchewan River Valley, Ottewell residents have ample opportunities to get out and get active. Locally, the area is home to several pocket parks, playground sites, and a popular community league. The Bonnie Doon Leisure Centre and the Hardisty Fitness and Leisure Centre are also nearby.
Other recreational amenities near Idylwylde include:
- Accidental Beach
- Alberta Legislature Grounds
- Dawson Park
- Don Wheaton Family YMCA
- Edmonton Ski Club
- Forest Heights Park
- Gallagher Park
- Government House Park
- Henrietta Muir Edwards Park
- Kinsmen Park
- Kinsmen Pitch and Putt
- Kinsmen Sports Centre
- Louise McKinney Riverfront Park
- Riverside Golf Course
- Royal Glenora Club
- Royal Mayfair Golf Club
- Victoria Golf Course
- Victoria Park
- And more!
Did you know? The Ottewell Community League hosts several family-friendly events and programs throughout the year, including artisanal farmers’ market, yoga and cooking classes, playschool, pickleball, seasonal parties and more.
With six schools within its boundaries, Ottwell remains one of the most education-friendly communities in the capital region. Perfect for families with children of all ages, there are three public schools, two Catholic schools and a private institution, the Waldorf Independent School of Edmonton.
Designated Public Schools:
- Clara Tyner School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Ottewell School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- McNally School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Monica School (Designated Grade Pre-K School
- St. Brendan School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- St. Brendan School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Austin O’Brien School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Did you know? With a reputation as Edmonton’s leading athletic academy, Vimy Ridge is one of the most respected schools in the city. VRA graduates include Olympic silver medalist figure skater Kaetlyn Osmond and Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Carter Hart.
Commuting From Southeast Edmonton
Ottewell is defined by 75th Street to the west, 98th Ave to the north, 50th Street to the east and 90th Ave to the south. Residents of Idylwylde enjoy a convenient commute to downtown Edmonton via Connors Road, which is less than 10 minutes away. 75th Street is also close to Whitemud Drive (7 minutes south), while nearby 82nd Ave offers easy access to both the Sherwood Park Freeway and Anthony Henday.
Though Ottewell remains mostly car-dependent, transit opportunities within the community are considered good. Edmonton’s Metro and Capital LRT lines are easily accessible via the various stops and routes throughout the neighbourhood, with stations in Belgravia and McKernan.
Did you know? The new Valley LRT line will include stops in the neighbouring communities of Holyrood and Bonnie Doon.
For more information on Edmonton real estate opportunities and homes for sale in Ottewell or any other community in the capital region, contact us! And don’t forget to take advantage of our free buyer’s resources, including:
- Edmonton’s Top Infill Communities – Stunning homes, mature tree-lined streets, and fantastic amenities await! This free guide will provide more information about some of Edmonton’s most popular infill neighbourhoods.
- Your All-in-One Guide to Choosing the Right Neighbourhood – Find your ideal community and your perfect home!
- The Terry Paranych Real Estate Group Blog - Our blog provides everything you need to know about home buying, home selling, and more.
Photo credits: shutterstock.comPosted by Terry Paranych on
Leave A Comment