Cumberland is an amenity-friendly neighbourhood located in Northwest Edmonton’s greater Palisades district. From schools and services to big-box retailers, restaurants and recreation venues, Cumberland residents enjoy having everything they need within arms’ reach (and then some). A broad selection of detached homes also makes Cumberland ideal for families in search of the perfect all-in-one community.
Did you know? All Palisades land once belonged to the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC). As a result, all neighbourhoods in the area take their name from the company’s many fur-trading posts and forts. In this case, the Cumberland House was the HBC’s first inland trading post.
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Cumberland
Though Cumberland was first established in the 1990s, most development took place during the early 2000s. Single-family homes account for roughly 98% of real estate opportunities, consisting of front attached and laned models. On average, most detached properties come equipped with four bedrooms, three bathrooms and 1,500 square feet of living space.
Open floor plans and family-friendly spaces such as bonus rooms, flex rooms and finished basements are standard among Cumberland homes. Some properties may also overlook the community’s central stormwater lake, offering scenic waterfront views.
Modern finishes and upgrades to expect from a Cumberland home may include:
- Stainless steel appliances
- Eat-in kitchen islands
- Walk-in pantries
- Custom flooring, countertops and cabinetry
- Luxury master bathrooms (soaker tubs, walk-in showers,
- Walk-in closets
- Generous dining areas
- Energy-efficient appliances
- Vaulted ceilings
- Oversized entryways
- Outdoor entertainment spaces (multi-level decks, patios, hot tubs, outdoor kitchens, etc.)
- Ample storage space
- Heated garages
- And more!
Average Listing Price in Cumberland: $332,000
Did you know? Cumberland houses several modern apartment-style condos and townhomes located in the neighbourhood’s north end. Two-bedroom, two-bathroom unit prices may start as low as $150,000.
All the Amenities
In addition to a convenient commercial complex located in the community’s northeastern corner, Cumberland sits within walking distance of the Skyview/North City/Palisades Shopping Centres – Northwest Edmonton’s most prominent shopping hub(s). Here, residents have access to grocers, banking institutions, health services, restaurants, dozens of big-box retailers and much more.
Other major amenities in and around Cumberland include Christy’s Corner (Cineplex Cinemas, misc. shops and services), North Town Centre and Northgate Centre. Londonderry Mall can also be reached within a few minutes via 137th Avenue.
Did you know? Cumberland residents also have access to the many excellent amenities of St. Albert (located only 10 minutes away) via St. Albert Trail. These include the city’s famed farmer’s market and Servus Credit Union Place, to name a few.
Parks and Recreation
An outdoor lover’s delight, Cumberland is home to a beautiful stormwater lake, playground, picnic areas, sports courts, and green spaces. A network of walking trails also encourages pedestrian travel between Cumberland and the surrounding communities. In addition, Cumberland residents are served by an active community league located in the adjoining neighbourhood of Hudson.
Other recreational amenities near Cumberland include:
- Beaumaris Lake / Park
- Caernarvon Off-Leash Park
- Cattail Crossing Golf and Winter Club
- Castle Downs Park and Spray Park
- Castle Downs YMCA
- Grand Trunk Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Henry Singer Park
- Lauderdale Off-Leash Park
- O’Leary Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Twin Willows Golf Club
Did you know? The Cumberland/Oxford Community League represents the neighbourhoods of Carlton, Cumberland, Hudson, Oxford and Skyview. The league hosts recreation programs and activities throughout the year, spanning everything from skating to soccer.
There are several schools within walking distance of Cumberland, including two K-9 public schools, two Catholic elementary schools and the Edmonton Islamic Academy – providing Arabic and Islamic programming to students aged K-12. Post-secondary institutions such as NAIT and MacEwan University can be reached in less than 15 minutes.
Designated Public Schools:
- Hilwie Hamdon School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Hilwie Hamdon School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Ross Sheppard School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Timothy School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Sir John Thompson School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Archbishop O’Leary School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Did you know? Cumberland has a liveability score of 73%, which is considered excellent. The community is rated above average for its amenities and cost of living. Cumberland’s real estate prices and crime rates are also lower than the Edmonton average. (source: Areavibes)
Commuting From Cumberland
Cumberland is bounded by 142nd Street to the west, 153rd Ave to the north, 127th Street to the east and Cumberland Road to the south. 127th Street transects several major thoroughfares, including the North Anthony Henday, 137th Ave and Yellowhead Trail. Other commuter roads in the area include Highway 2 (St. Albert Trail) and 97th Street. 97th Street us especially convenient for those working in the downtown core, as it offers a straight shot to Edmonton city centre. There are several transit routes operating throughout the Cumberland area, as well as two transit centres.
Did you know? Edmonton’s Metro LRT line extension will include a stop along Cumberland’s north end, at the corner of 153rd Ave and 137th Street. Ultimately, the expansion will provide residents convenient access to the downtown core and the greater City of Edmonton.
For more information on Edmonton homes for sale and real estate opportunities in Cumberland (or any other community in the capital region), get in touch with us! And, don’t forget to take advantage of any one (or all!) of our free buyer’s resources, including:
- Home Buyer Guide – Let the Terry Paranych Real Estate Group walk you through the Edmonton home buying process from start to finish with this easy-to-follow guide.
- Your All-in-One Guide to Choosing the Right Neighbourhood – Our comprehensive guide will help you find your dream home in your dream community.
- Six Tips That Make Home Buying More Affordable –Learn how you can make home-buying more affordable with just a few easy tips!
- 10 Affordable Neighbourhoods in Northwest Edmonton
- Edmonton Community Spotlight: Carlisle in Northwest Edmonton
- Your Guide to Northwest Edmonton Real Estate