The established neighbourhood of Carlisle is located in Northwest Edmonton’s popular Castle Downs district. The community encompasses all real estate located east of Baranow, south of 145th Ave, west of Castle Downs Road and north of 137th Ave. A mature community, development in Carlisle began in the 1970s with an emphasis on single-family homes. With construction continuing over the next two decades, Carlisle has become a diverse, amenity-rich neighbourhood known for its mixed, affordable home styles and family-friendly atmosphere.
Did you know? Like all Castle Downs neighbourhoods, Carlisle takes its name from a famous castle. In this case, an English castle located along the English/Scottish border. The castle was built in 1093 by King William II.
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Carlisle
Four-bedroom, three-bathroom detached homes account for just over half of all real estate opportunities in Carlisle. The area is celebrated for its affordable starter homes – perfect for first-time buyers and growing families – with models consisting of renovated bungalows and bi-levels, four-level splits and detached two-storey properties. Edmonton home buyers considering calling Carlisle home can also expect plenty of modern upgrades, such as:
- Eat-in kitchens with stainless steel appliances, pull-up islands, tile backsplashes, and more.
- New countertops and cabinetry
- New paint and flooring
- Renovated bathrooms and ensuites
- Energy-efficient systems and features (triple-pane windows, new roofing and siding, furnaces, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.)
- Vaulted ceilings
- Picture windows
- Finished basements
- Recreation rooms
- Flex spaces
- Wood burning fireplaces
- Outdoor entertainment spaces (deck, patios, children’s play spaces)
- Oversized, tree-lined lots
- Sprinkler systems
- Double detached (heated) garages with hobby and workspaces
- And more!
Many single-family homes in Carlisle also come equipped with legal income suites featuring private entrances, two or more bedrooms and bathrooms. As a result, savvy Edmonton real estate investors may look forward to an additional $1300 worth of passive income in basement rent alone!
Townhomes account for another 25% of home style choices in Carlisle, followed by a smaller number of duplexes and low-rise apartment-style condos. Attached and detached homes in the community start as low as $145,000 for a three-bedroom, two-bath townhome (1000 square feet).
Average Listing Price in Carlisle: $314,000
Did you know? Duplexes account for roughly 10% of home styles in Carlisle, apartment-style condos make up another 10%.
All the Best Amenities
Carlisle sits within walking distance of Northwest Edmonton’s best amenities. These include the Kensington Crossing/Palisades/Skyview Power Centres, where residents can access everything from restaurants and retailers to banking institutions and medical services. Other significant amenities near Carlisle include Christy’s Corner (Cineplex Cinemas, various restaurants and services), Northgate Centre and North Town Centre. Londonderry Mall can also be reached in less than 10 minutes’ drive via 137th Avenue.
Other amenities near Carlisle include:
- Albany Market Square
- Lakeside Landing Shopping Centre
- Newcastle Shopping Centre
- Telus World of Science
- Westmount Shopping Centre
Did you know? The Telus World of Science’s Zeidler Dome is nearly 80 feet in diameter. Featuring the world’s first 10K planetarium system, it is Canada’s largest planetarium dome (Travel Alberta).
Parks and Recreation
Carlisle features a centrally located park and playground space. The site is also home to two hockey rinks and the Carlisle Community League, which hosts many family-oriented programs and events throughout the year (soccer, dance, senior fitness classes, etc.). The community is also just 5 minutes from the Grand Trunk Fitness and Leisure Centre and off-leash dog park.
Additional recreational amenities near Carlisle:
- Beaumaris Lake / Park
- Caernarvon Off-Leash Park
- Castle Downs Park and Spray Park
- Castle Downs YMCA
- Henry Singer Park
- O’Leary Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Twin Willows Golf Club
Did you know? The Grand Truck Fitness and Leisure Centre features a 25-metre swimming pool, waterslide, fitness centre, indoor arena, tennis and basketball courts, sports fields and more.
There is a single school in Carlisle, St. Timothy Catholic Elementary School. Families also enjoy having several other schools (including playschool, daycare, junior high, senior high and more) in the surrounding communities of Caernarvon and Kensington. Post-secondary institutions, including NAIT, MacEwan University and NorQuest College, can be reached in under 15 minutes.
Designated Public Schools:
- Caernarvon School (Designated Elementary)
- Kensington School (Designated Junior High)
- Queen Elizabeth School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Timothy School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Sir John Thompson School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Archbishop O’Leary School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
- Aurora Academic Charter School
- Edmonton Christian West School
- Edmonton Christian High School
- Edmonton Islamic Academy
Did you know? The Edmonton Islamic Academy (EIA) was founded in 1987 in the basement of the Al-Rashid Mosque with only 21 students. Today, the school has an enrollment of more than 1,400 students from Preschool to Grade 12.
Commuting From Carlisle
Nearby commuter roads such as 137th Ave and Castle Downs Road provide Carlisle residents convenient access to essential amenities. Other major thoroughfares include 97th Street, which offers a streamlined commute to downtown, Highway 2 and Yellowhead Trail. Carlisle is also considered extremely transit-friendly, with several stops and routes operating throughout the area.
Edmonton’s future Metro LRT line extension will include a stop in the neighbouring community of Baranow. As a result, residents will enjoy convenient LRT access to the city centre and the greater City of Edmonton.
Did you know? The Metro LRT project will see service extended from the Churchill LRT station (downtown) to Campbell Road near St. Albert.
For more information on Edmonton homes for sale and real estate opportunities in Carlisle (or any other community in the capital region), get in touch with us! And don’t forget to take advantage of any one (or all!) of our free buyer’s resources, including:
- Home Buyer Guide – Let us walk you through the Edmonton home buying process from start to finish with this easy step-by-step guide.
- Your All-in-One Guide to Choosing the Right Neighbourhood – Find your perfect home in your ideal community!
- Six Tips That Make Home Buying More Affordable – Learn how to make home-buying more affordable with these easy tips!
- 5 Affordable Neighbourhoods in Northwest Edmonton
- Edmonton Community Spotlight: Canossa in Northwest Edmonton
- Your Guide to Northwest Edmonton Real Estate
Photo credits: shutterstock.comPosted by Terry Paranych on