Brookside is an affluent neighbourhood located in scenic Southwest Edmonton. Bounded by Whitemud Drive to the south and west, the North Saskatchewan River Valley to the north and the Whitemud Creek Ravine to the east, Brookside strikes the perfect balance between accessibility and peaceful riverside views. Brookside boasts meticulously maintained homes on large lots and proximity to some of Edmonton’s most popular amenities, including Snow Valley and Fort Edmonton Park.
Did you know? Brookside’s name is a reference to its location along Whitemud Creek.
Real Estate and Homes for Sale in Brookside
Single-family homes account for over 80% of real estate opportunities in Brookside. Nearly all residences in the area were built between the 1960 and 70s, with detached homes consisting of everything from executive-style estate properties to updated bungalows. Four-bedroom, four-bathroom homes are most common, featuring large lots and mature trees. Due to the area’s varied home models, square footage can range from 1,200 to 3,500+ square feet.
Though older, most Brookside homes offer high-end features and upgrades, including everything from triple car garages and chef’s kitchens to immaculate ensuites and lavish outdoor entertainment spaces. Panoramic ravine-side views and beautifully landscaped walk-out lots are also common.
But that’s not all!
Other features to expect from a Brookside home may include:
- Butler’s pantries
- Private dressing rooms
- Custom detailing
- Golf simulators
- Games rooms
- Home offices
- Natural hardwood
- Stone countertops
- Coffee bars
- Ceramic tile
- Gas fireplaces
- King-sized primary suites
- Wet bars
- Sprinkler systems
- Custom vanities
- Stainless-steel appliances
- RV parking
- Built-in shelving
- Home gyms
- And more!
Average Listing Price in Brookside: $784,000
See Homes for Sale in Brookside
Did you know? Brookside boats an exceptional livability score thanks to its low crime rates and proximity to amenities and schools.
As a means of preserving Brookside’s low-traffic and nature-friendly atmosphere, there are no commercial amenities in the community. However, Brookside residents enjoy having countless shopping hubs within arms’ reach. These include Southgate Mall, the Meadowlark Health and Shopping Centre and famous West Edmonton Mall. Brookside is also situated near Fort Edmonton Park and the Edmonton Valley Zoo.
Other nearby amenities include:
- Crossroads Shopping Centre – Lowe’s, Edmonton Public Library, misc. healthcare services, restaurants, etc.
- Misericordia Hospital
- South Edmonton Common – 172+ brand name stores, Cineplex Odeon, The Rec Room, etc.
- South Park Centre – Walmart, coffee shops, numerous retailers and restaurants
- Southpoint Centre – Miscellaneous services and retailers, restaurants, grocers, etc.
- University of Alberta Hospital
- And more!
Did you know? Brookside is less than 15 minutes from Edmonton’s premier arts and culture district, Whyte Ave, allowing homeowners to take advantage of some of the city’s best restaurants, boutique shops, and entertainment establishments.
Parks and Recreation
Thanks to its one-of-a-kind location along the North Saskatchewan River Valley and the Whitemud Creek Ravine, Brookside homeowners have access to some of Edmonton’s most outstanding outdoor amenities, including Rainbow Valley Park, the Snow Valley Ski Club, John Janzen Nature Centre and Whitemud Park.
Recreation amenities in and around Brookside include:
- Buena Vista Park
- Callingwood Park
- Confederation Leisure Centre
- The Derrick Golf and Winter Club
- The Edmonton Country Club
- Jamie Platz Family YMCA
- Jasper Park Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- Twin Brooks District and Nature Park
Did you know? The Riverbend Community League serves Brookside homeowners. In addition, families in the area benefit from various activities and events offered by the league, such as yoga, playgroups, skating, and swimming programs.
There is one school located in Brookside, Brookside public elementary. Additional educational opportunities, including private, Catholic and other non-secular schools, are easily accessible in the surrounding areas.
Designated Public Schools:
- Brookside School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Riverbend School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Lillian Osborne School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
- Strathcona School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Monica School (Designated Grade Pre-K-School)
- St. Mary School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Archbishop Joseph MacNeil School (Designated K-9 School)
- Mother Margaret Mary School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Did you know? Strathcona High School is one of Edmonton’s oldest schools. 71 students first enrolled in the institution in 1908 in what is now known as the Old Scona Academic building. The school moved to its current location along Calgary Trail in 1955.
Despite the neighbourhood’s peaceful, semi-secluded setting, Brookside sits adjacent to several major thoroughfares, such as Whitemud Drive, Terwillegar Drive, 111th Street, Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard.
While Brookside is mostly car-dependent (most errands require a car), there are some nearby transit options nearby. These include the South Campus Fort Edmonton Transit Centre and Southgate Transit Centre. Southgate also provides a stop on Edmonton’s Capital LRT line.
Did you know? Expansion of the Capital LRT line will see 4.5 km of track extended from Century Park to Ellerslie Road. The extension will include two new stations and provide convenient service for residents living in deep Southwest Edmonton.
Are you thinking of buying or selling a home in Edmonton? Check out our blog, or download any one of our FREE buyer and seller resources, including:
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Edmonton Neighbourhood – Discover your ideal neighbourhood and find the home of your dreams!
- Home Buyer’s Guide - Whether you are buying your first home or your tenth, we will help you with the entire process step by step.
- Home Seller’s Guide – With the help of this how-to guide, you will be able to sell your home quickly and for top dollar.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Renovating Your Home (For a Great Sale) – Our comprehensive renovation guide will help you maximize the sale value of your home.
Photo credits: shutterstock.comPosted by Terry Paranych on
Leave A Comment