Formally known as the community of Glamorgan, the land comprising Brander Gardens was annexed by the City of Edmonton in the 1960s. Part of the larger Riverbend-Terwillegar Heights Neighbourhood Structure Plan, this desirable area is outdoor-recreation friendly and within proximity of fantastic amenities. A mature community, Brander Gardens boasts quiet streets and wooded areas, as well as local parks and green spaces. From luxury estate homes to affordable apartment-style condos, Brander Gardens has something to offer every taste, lifestyle and budget.
Did you know? Brander Gardens was named in honour of Edmonton resident George Brander. Brander came to the city in the early 1920s and established a spectacular peony garden near the Bonnie Doon neighbourhood. The gardens were a source of peonies for most of Alberta at that time, as well as a local attraction.
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Brander Gardens
Most development in Brander Gardens took place during the 1970s. Apartment-style condos account for over 35% of home styles in the area with two-bedroom, two-bathroom units starting in the low 100s. The community’s high number of apartments make Brander Gardens ideal for both first-time buyers and Edmonton real estate investors. Other low-maintenance home styles in the area include affordable townhomes, featuring three bedrooms and two bathrooms a small number of duplexes.
Single-family homes make up another 30% of home models in Brander Gardens. Two-storey models are most common, with four bedrooms and bathrooms. Despite being older, many of these detached properties feature recent upgrades including renovated kitchens and bathrooms, new flooring, finished basements and high-end appliances. Large lots with mature landscaping, outdoor entertainment spaces and oversized yards are also common.
Average Listing Price in $271,000
See Homes For Sale in Bradner Gardens
Did you know? Brander Gardens boasts an excellent livability score. This can be attributed to the community’s proximity to amenities, cost of living and schools.
Brander Garden residents enjoy the best of both worlds when it comes to West and Southwest Edmonton amenities. These include Southgate Centre Mall and the Meadowlark Health and Shopping Centre in addition to Callingwood Square Shopping Centre and West Edmonton Mall.
Other nearby amenities include:
- Crossroads Shopping Centre – Lowe’s, Edmonton Public Library, misc. healthcare services, restaurants, etc.
- Misericordia Hospital
- South Edmonton Common – 172+ brand name stores, Cineplex Odeon, The Rec Room, etc.
- South Park Centre – Walmart, coffee shops, numerous retailers and restaurants
- Southpoint Centre – Miscellaneous services and retailers, restaurants, grocers, etc.
- University of Alberta Hospital
- And more!
Did you know? Whyte Ave, Edmonton’s premier arts and culture district, is less than 15-minutes from Brander Gardens. As a result, homeowners can reach some of the city’s most celebrated restaurants, boutique shops and entertainment venues.
Parks and Recreation
Defined by the North Saskatchewan River Valley on two sides, Brander Gardens homeowners have convenient access to outdoor recreation venues. In addition to a vast network of wooded walking and biking trails, the neighbourhood sits within proximity of Fort Edmonton Park and the John Janzen Nature Centre. Whitemud Park, the Whitemud Creek Ravine and the Edmonton Valley Zoo are also just a short distance away.
Recreation amenities in and around Brander Gardens include:
- Buena Vista Park
- Callingwood Park
- Confederation Leisure Centre
- The Derrick Golf and Winter Club
- The Edmonton Country Club
- Jamie Platz Family YMCA
- Jasper Park Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Rainbow Valley Park
- Snow Valley Ski Club
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- Twin Brooks District and Nature Park
Did you know? Brander Garden residents are served by the Riverbend Community League. A staple for families in the area, the league offers various activities and programs including yoga, playgroups, skating and swim programs and a community garden.
Brander Gardens Schools
There are four schools in Brander Heights, making it perfect for growing families. These include a public elementary and junior high school, a Catholic junior high and a K-12 private school. The University of Albertais also located just 15-minutes drive northeast of Brander Gardens via Fox Drive and 114th Street.
Designated Public Schools:
- Brander Gardens School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Riverbend School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Strathcona School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Monica School (Designated Pre-K School)
- St. Mary School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Archbishop Joseph MacNeil School(Designated Grade K-9 School)
- Mother Margaret Mary School(Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Did you know? Edmonton's Strathcona High School is one of the oldest schools in the city. The institution first opened its doors in 1908 to 71 students in the building now known as Old Scona Academic. In 1955, the school moved to its current location along Calgary Trail.
Commuting From Brander Gardens
Brander Gardens is bounded by the North Saskatchewan River Valley to the west and north, Whitemud Drive to the east and 51st Ave to the south. Despite the neighbourhood’s peaceful, semi-secluded atmosphere, there are several major thoroughfares nearby including Terwillegar Drive, Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard.
Brander Gardens is primarily car-dependent, though there are a few bus routes operating in the area. Edmonton’s Capital LRT line and Southgate Transit Centre can also be accessed via Southgate Mall or Century Park Station in the nearby community of Blue Quill.
Did you know? Edmonton’s future Capital LRT line extension will run from Century Park to Ellerslie Road.
Are you thinking of buying or selling a home in Edmonton? Download your FREE copy of buyer and seller resources:
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Edmonton Neighbourhood – Discover your ideal neighborhood and find the perfect home!
- Home Buyer’s Guide - We will guide you through the entire home buying process step by step.
- Home Seller’s Guide – Sell your home quickly and for top dollar with this how-to guide.
- A Step by Step Guide to Renovating Your Home (For a Great Sale) – This comprehensive renovation guide will help you maximize your home's sale value.
Photo credits: shutterstock.comPosted by Terry Paranych on