Boasting affordable real estate opportunities and a friendly atmosphere, Alberta’s capital city has a lot to offer newcomers. If you’re considering moving to Edmonton, here are ten awesome things you should know:
1. Canada’s Festival City
Home to over 50 festivals each year, Edmonton is known as Canada’s festival city. Come rain, snow or shine, Edmonton hosts multiple cultural, food, arts, entertainment and music events, appealing to every age and interest. A few of Edmonton’s many popular festivals include:
- Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival
- Edmonton Folk Music Festival
- Taste of Edmonton
- Edmonton Heritage Festival
- Edmonton International Film Festival
- Ice on Whyte
- Silver Skate Festival
2. Extremely Diverse
Edmonton is home to over 1,500,000 people, a quarter of which are considered first-generation immigrants. From Arabic to Vietnamese, there are also over 150 languages represented in the region, spoken by over 26% of the population. The Philippines is the largest source country for immigrants in our city, followed by India and China. (Statistics Canada)
3. The Largest Shopping Mall in North America
Offering over 800 stores and services and 12 world-class attractions, West Edmonton Mall is Alberta’s #1 tourist attraction. Receiving over 30 million visitors a year (that’s more than twice as many as Disneyland), WEM holds several world record titles, including the largest indoor lake, amusement park, wave pool and triple loop rollercoaster.
4. We Top the List for Affordability
According to recent data, Edmonton is one of Canada’s most affordable major housing markets. It has also been ranked in the top five for combining reasonably priced real estate opportunities and job growth, making it an excellent place to live and prosper. Edmonton ranks 14th best Canadian city overall for affordability, with average home prices starting at $363,000. Real estate prices are also 14% lower than the Alberta average.
P.S. Did we mention there’s no provincial sales tax?
5. Great Investment Opportunities
Not only is Edmonton one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, but its also one of Canada’s leading markets for real estate development and investment. Other reasons that have savvy investors flocking to our city include:
- Consistent demand for rental properties
- Ultra-affordable property prices
- Low-interest rates
- An abundance of multi-family real estate opportunities
- Tax benefits and deductions
- Experienced professionals and mentors
- And more!
6. Vast Open Green Spaces
Edmonton’s North Saskatchewan River Valley isn’t just beautiful, it’s also the largest urban park in Canada. Offering over 160 km of trails and pathways (interconnecting 20 major parks), the river valley is North America’s largest stretch of city parkland. So, whether you’re in the mood to bike, ski, picnic or attend one of Edmonton’s many famous outdoor events, the river valley has it all.
7. Ample Attractions
Mega mall aside, Edmonton houses numerous first-rate, family-friendly attractions. Revisit history in Fort Edmonton Park, Canada’s largest living history museum or be awe-inspired by the country’s largest planetarium dome theatre at the Telus World of Science. Wherever your interests lie, there is no shortage of things to see and do in our dynamic city.
Other popular attractions in Edmonton:
- Edmonton Valley Zoo
- Royal Alberta Museum
- Art Gallery of Alberta
- Rogers Place
- Muttart Conservatory
- Citadel Theatre
- Commonwealth Stadium
8. We Are a Winter City
Edmonton is known for its chilly temperatures. But instead of hiding from the cold, we embrace it while promoting positive winter experiences everyone can enjoy. These include:
- Endless Outdoor Events – Festivals, holiday celebrations, winter markets, etc.
- Free Play For Kids – Free outdoor activities including hockey, skating, skiing, snowboarding and more.
- Winter-Friendly Patios – Pick up a Winter Warming Kit and head to a #YEGWinterPatio.
- Winter Accessibility – Promoting a safe and accessible winter environment for those with disabilities.
- Studded Tire Programs and Bike Lanes – Free studded winter tires for selected applicants.
- And more
Check out Winter City Edmonton for additional information.
9. An Excellent Liveability Score
Edmonton boasts a Liveability Score of 71/100, which is considered excellent. It ranks 75% better than other areas, especially concerning cost of living, which is 10% lower than the Alberta average. Our city also ranks above average for median household income, amenities, and schools, making it ideal for families looking to settle in a great community.
10. Excellent Post Secondary Institutions
Speaking of schools, the University of Alberta is recognized as one of Canada’s best universities and a globally renowned research institution. It holds a reputation for excellence in humanities, sciences, creative arts, business, and engineering and houses several world-class facilities. Other leading post-secondary institutions in Edmonton include NAIT, NorQuest College, MacEwan University and more!
Did you know? Alberta students have been rated best in Canada and among top in the world for reading and science. (CTV.ca)
Further Fun Facts:
- Edmonton is one of Canada’s sunniest cities, receiving over 2,299 hours of sunshine annually.
- We are one of Canada’s youngest cities and the fifth largest.
- Edmonton is North America’s northernmost city with a population of over a million people.
- Often referred to as Oil City, Edmonton is the oil capital of Canada.
- Edmonton has the world’s highest streetcar bridge.
- Edmonton’s river valley is 22 times larger than New York’s Central Park.
- Downtown Edmonton features a statue of Wayne Gretzky, captain of the Edmonton Oilers from 1983 to 1988 (go Oilers!)
- Some of Canada’s most popular restaurant chains were founded in Edmonton, including the Canadian Brewhouse, Boston Pizza and Earls.
Moving to Edmonton?
As one of Edmonton’s leading real estate teams, the Terry Paranych Real Estate Group has the knowledge, skills, and experience to find your dream home. For more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
We also invite you to take advantage of our free buyer’s resources below:
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing The Right Edmonton Neighbourhood
- The Terry Paranych Group Dream Home Finder
- Your Ultimate Guide to Edmonton Real Estate