Henderson Estates is an affluent community located in scenic Southwest Edmonton. Part of the greater Riverbend district, the neighbourhood encompasses all real estate situated east of the North Saskatchewan River, south of Rabbit Hill Road, west of Riverbend Road and north of the neighbouring community of Haddow.
An established neighbourhood known for its abundance of high-end single-family properties, Henderson Estates offers discerning buyers a large selection of luxury homes in a beautiful, amenity-friendly location.
Formerly used as agricultural farmland, Henderson Estates remained untouched until the early 1980s. Over the next twenty years, residential development began to take shape – predominantly in the form of single-family homes, now accounting for over 90% of residences within the area.
Nestled along the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, Henderson Estates is highlighted by breathtaking river valley views, multi-use trails (perfect for walking, running and biking), ample amounts of open green space, parks, off-leash areas and more. Overall, Henderson Estates maintains a peaceful, outdoor-friendly atmosphere, perfect for those who love to escape to the great outdoors.
Henderson Estates takes its name from early 19th-century homesteader Thomas Henderson. Henderson farmed several homesteads in the Edmonton area before finally settling near Rabbit Hill. He also reportedly owned the first honeybee colony in Edmonton.
Price Range and Housing Stock
Single-family homes featuring four or more bedrooms, four bathrooms and 2,500+ square feet of family-friendly living space are standard in Henderson Estates. Ranging in size, style and layout, homes in the area are considered incredibly diverse, ranging from split-level models and bungalows to two-story properties with triple-attached garages and oversized lots.
Average home prices typically start around $775,000, though prices may vary between the high 500s and the 1-million-dollar mark. Though some Henderson Estates homes may be considered older, properties within the community have been meticulously maintained over the years and include a variety of modern finishes and upgrades.
While large, detached residences reign supreme in Henderson Estates, the neighbourhood is not without a few attached and semi-detached homes. These high-end townhome and duplex developments are concentrated mainly in the community’s far north end and offer the best of both worlds when it comes to low-maintenance living within a luxury home setting. Accounting for under 10% of residences in the area, some multi-family units in Henderson Estates are considered mature-living only and come equipped with a wealth of downsizer-friendly features.
Note: Henderson Estates’ most high-priced real estate can be found along Heacock Road, Heffernan Drive, Henson, Hetu Lane and Hewgill Place.
Standard Luxury Features
In addition to ultra-large lots and spacious floorplans, Henderson Estates homes are known for their unique features and lavish upgrades, including everything from RV parking and four-season atriums to wine coolers and in-ground swimming pools. Other features to expect from a Henderson Estates home may include:
- Chef-inspired kitchens
- Fully finished basements
- Generous walk-in closets
- Natural stone countertops
- Vaulted and coffered ceilings
- Wainscotting and shiplap accents
- Natural and/or engineered hardwood flooring
- Brand new systems and appliances (energy efficient kitchen appliances, furnaces, tankless hot water systems, HVAC, etc.)
- Built-in cabinetry
- In-floor heating
- Rec rooms
- Home gyms
- Wet bars
- Central vac
- Outdoor entertainment spaces
- Oversized windows and ample natural light
- Hot tubs
- Large mudrooms
- Luxury master ensuites (standalone and corner tubs with backyard views, his and hers sinks, glass walk-in showers, tile flooring and surround, etc.)
- Natural gas and wood-burning fireplaces
- Flex rooms and bonus rooms
- Three and four-car garages
- Professional/mature landscaped front and rear yard spaces
A nature-friendly neighbourhood praised for its scenic location, Henderson Estates offers no shortage of recreational opportunities. In addition to open green spaces and a large, centrally located park (complete with playground and basketball court), the community sits within close proximity to some of southwest Edmonton’s most popular outdoor amenities. These include the many walking and cycling paths of the nearby river valley trail system as well as Terwillegar Park, Whitemud Creek Ravine and Snow Valley Ski Club.
Henderson Estates Designated Catholic Schools: St. Mary Catholic Elementary School, Archbishop Joseph MacNeil Elementary/Junior High School and Mother Margaret Mary High School.
While there are no commercial amenities located within Henderson Estates proper, big-box retailers, restaurants, recreation venues and more can be easily accessed via the nearby Anthony Henday, Whitemud Drive and 23rd Ave. These include:
- Crossroads Shopping Centre – Lowe’s, Edmonton Public Library, misc. healthcare services, restaurants, etc.
- Currents of Windermere
- The Derrick Golf and Winter Club
- Jagare Ridge Golf and Country Club
- Misericordia Community Hospital
- Rabbit Hill Shopping Centre
- Rainbow Valley Park
- Riverbend Square
- River Ridge Golf and Country Club
- South Edmonton Common – 172+ brand name stores, Cineplex Odeon, The Rec Room, etc.
- Southgate Centre – 165+ retailers, banking institutions, restaurants, etc.
- South Park Centre – Walmart, coffee shops, numerous retailers and restaurants
- Southpoint Centre – Miscellaneous services and retailers, restaurants, grocers, etc.
- Southwest Edmonton Farmer’s Market
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- Twin Brooks District and Nature Park
- University of Alberta Hospital
- West Edmonton Mall
- Windermere Crossing
- Windermere Golf and Country Club
- And more!
*Average prices subject to change based on current real estate inventory
Are you considering buying a luxury home in Edmonton? As one of Edmonton’s leading real estate teams, the Terry Paranych Real Estate Group has the skills, professionalism, and experience to find the perfect high-end home to match your distinct tastes and lifestyle. For more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
We also invite you to take advantage of our free luxury buyer’s resources below:
Our Exclusive Luxury Real Estate Listings: Explore Edmonton’s latest luxury listings according to property type:
The Terry Paranych Group Dream Home Finder: Make your new luxury home dream a reality with the help of our personalized Dream Home Finder.Terry Paranych on