The community of Summerlea remains one of the most unique neighbourhoods in the entire capital region. 50% commercial and 50% residential, Summerlea is home to North America’s largest shopping mall and some of the most affordable real estate West Edmonton has to offer. So, whether you’re a family needing more room to grow, a downsizer in search of a low-maintenance home, or a first-time buyer looking to take advantage of Edmonton’s premier shopping and entertainment destination, Summerlea may be the right community for you.
Did you know? Summerlea is named after a summertime meadow – an appropriate title for a community that offers a significant amount of centrally located green space.
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Summerlea
As mentioned above, Summerlea is known for its affordable homes, including single-family models, townhomes and low-rise apartment-style condos. Single-family homes and duplexes account for more than a third of all residences in the neighbourhood, coming in a wide range of styles and price points. Featuring an average of three bedrooms and three bedrooms, these attached and semi-detached homes are known for their large lots and mature landscaping and can range from the low 200s to the early 400s.
Apartment-style condos under five stories are the predominant home style in Summerlea, accounting for roughly two-thirds of all residential real estate. As such, the community is a popular choice among home buyers seeking a trouble-free, “lock and leave” lifestyle that affords them access to fantastic amenities. Condos in the area typically start in the mid 100s and feature an average of two bedrooms, one bathroom and 1,000 square feet.
Average Listing Price in Summerlea: $219,000
Did you know? Though most residential development in Summerlea occurred in the 1970s and 80s, construction of new homes has remained constant over the years, continuing into the 2000s.
Shop ‘Till You Drop
With over 800 stores spread across more than five million square feet of retail and recreation space, West Edmonton Mall provides countless big-box retailers, boutique stores and services to residents. And that’s not all. In addition to housing one of the largest shopping meccas in the world, Summerlea sits within a short distance of many other commercial amenities (including grocers, banking institutions, medical centres, etc.) and West Edmonton’s Misericordia Community Hospital.
Other nearby amenities include:
- Depot 170 – PetSmart, Toys R Us, The Keg, Starbucks, Chapters, The Home Depot, etc.
- Mayfield Common – Save-on-Foods, Winners, JYSK, various restaurants, etc.
- SmartCentres Edmonton West – Walmart, RONA, various restaurants, etc.
- Terra Losa Shopping Centre – Safeway, Staples, Marshalls, etc.
- Westpoint Centre – Canadian Tire, Mark’s, Schanks Sports Grill, etc.
- And more!
Did you know? West Edmonton Mall attracts over 30 million visitors a year – twice as many as Disneyland.
Parks and Recreation
Although commercial amenities encompass over half the neighbourhood, Summerlea offers no shortage of parkland. Residents enjoy large amounts of green space (including a playground, soccer and baseballs fields) as provided by Summerlea Park, as well as additional recreation space (walking paths, picnic areas, a stormwater lake and playground sites) via the neighbouring communities of Terra Losa and Belmead.
Other recreational amenities in and around Summerlea include:
West Edmonton Mall:
- World Waterpark
- Marine Life
- Ice Palace
- Scotiabank Theatre
- The Rec Room
- Jubilations Dinner Theatre
- Starlight Casino
Did you know? West Edmonton Mall has held several Guinness World Record titles, including the world’s largest indoor amusement park, world’s largest indoor wave pool, world’s largest indoor lake and world’s tallest indoor permanent bungee tower.
While there are no schools located within the neighbourhood of Summerlea proper, educational opportunities remain abundant throughout the surrounding area. These include public and Catholic institutions as well additional non-secular options, bilingual learning, preschools, daycares, out-of-school programs and more.
Designated Public Schools:
- Aleda Patterson School (Designated Grade K-3 School)
- Alex Janvier School (Designated Grade 4-6 School)
- Alex Janvier School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Jasper Place School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Justin School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- St. Benedict School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- St. Thomas More School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- St. Francis Xavier School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Did you know? Summerlea features an active community league known for its wealth of kid-friendly activities and events.
Summerlea is defined by 178th Street to the west, 95th Ave to the north, 170th Street to the east and 87th Ave to the south. Surrounded by commuter routes, this accessible neighbourhood allows residents to reach the greater City of Edmonton quickly and conveniently. For example, 170th Street connects directly with both Whitemud Drive and the Yellowhead Trail, while 87th Ave provides streamlined access to the west Anthony Henday. Nearby Stony Plain Road also leads to Edmonton’s downtown core, which can be reached in less than 20 minutes’ drive.
Summerlea also boasts a very high walk and transit score, indicating most errands can be accomplished on foot, with several public transportation options nearby. Summerlea will also be home to the future west Valley LRT line.
For more information on Edmonton real estate opportunities and homes for sale in or any other community in the capital region, get in touch with us! We also invite you to take advantage of our most popular home buyer’s resources and home seller’s resources, including:
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Edmonton Neighbourhood – Find your perfect home in your ideal community!
- Home Buyer’s Guide – Step by step, we’ll walk you through the home buying process from start to finish.
- Home Seller’s Guide – Your how-to guide on selling your home quickly and for top dollar!
- A Step by Step Guide to Renovating Your Home (For a Great Sale) – Get the most out of your home’s sale with this comprehensive renovation guide.