A quiet, family-friendly community in beautiful Southwest Edmonton, Aspen Gardens is an affluent neighbourhood known for its large, single-family homes, mature tree-lined streets and scenic ravine setting. Located just a short distance from Southwest Central Edmonton and the University area, Aspen Gardens was developed for Edmonton residents looking to escape the dense population of the inner city. As a result, new homeowners in the area could enjoy luxury homes on large lots that provided more space between neighbours and an added sense of privacy.
Did you know? As the name implies, Aspen Gardens takes its name from the aspen tree, typical to Edmonton and West Central Alberta. The land on which Aspen Gardens is located was originally forested.
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Aspen Gardens
The development of Aspen Gardens first began in the early 1960s with a focus on executive-style single-family homes. Despite its mature status, Aspen Gardens still maintains its reputation as a semi-secluded estate community. Large, upgraded properties featuring an average of four or more bedrooms and ample square footage reign supreme, many of which offer breathtaking ravine views. Over the years, many of the neighbourhood’s older homes have been either extensively renovated or removed to make way for brand new luxury infill homes, outfitted with the latest features and finishes.
While detached properties account for over 80% of real estate opportunities within Aspen Gardens, the area also houses a small number of low-rise apartment-style condos, particularly along 122nd Street. Most apartments in the area feature an average of two to three bedrooms and a generous amount of square footage. While many of these units were constructed during the 1970s, they also come equipped with a wealth of modern upgrades.
Average Listing Price in Aspen Gardens: $614,000
Did you know? As one of Edmonton’s most highly sought-after communities, Aspen Gardens keeps an extremely high occupancy rate, making the area difficult to buy into. As homes in the area never stay on the market long, we recommend scheduling your private home showing as soon as possible.
In addition to the neighbourhood’s many elegant homes, Aspen Gardens remains a popular choice among home buyers due to its proximity to major amenities. As a result, grocers, medical services, big-box retailers, restaurants, coffee shops and more can be easily reached within a 10-minute drive or less. There are very few businesses located within Aspen Gardens, which serves to minimize traffic to the area and maintain the community’s quiet atmosphere.
Notable nearby amenities include:
- Crossroads Shopping Centre – Lowe’s, Edmonton Public Library, misc. healthcare services, restaurants, etc.
- Petrolia Mall – Grocers, medical centre and child care
- Riverbend Square Shopping Centre – Grocers, numerous retailers, restaurants, etc.
- South Edmonton Common – 172+ brand name stores, Cineplex Odeon, The Rec Room, etc.
- South Park Centre – Walmart, coffee shops, numerous retailers and restaurants
- Southgate Centre – 165+ retailers, banking institutions, restaurants, etc.
- Southpoint Centre – Miscellaneous services and retailers, restaurants, grocers, etc.
- University of Alberta Hospital / Stollery Children’s Hospital
- And more!
Did you know? Spread across 320+ acres and 2.3 million square feet of retail space, South Edmonton Common is one of the largest open-air retail spaces in North America.
Parks and Recreation
Nestled along the picturesque Whitemud Creek Ravine, Aspen Gardens residents have exclusive access to Southwest Edmonton’s best outdoor recreation venues. In addition to a vast network of wooded walking and biking trails, the neighbourhood is surrounded by ample open green space, including a highly popular ski hill and a golf course. The Aspen Garden Community League is also a staple for families in the area, offering various activities, including skiing and swim programs, hockey, soccer, and a local playschool.
Recreation amenities in and around Aspen Gardens include:
- The Derrick Golf and Winter Club
- Rainbow Valley Park
- Snow Valley Ski Club
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- Twin Brooks District and Nature Park
Did you know? A self-proclaimed “Winter City,” skiing has remained a long-practiced hobby for Edmontonians for over a century. The city was home to five major ski clubs in the 1930s, though the Snow Valley Ski Club wasn’t developed until the 1940s. (source: Snowvalley.ca)
Aspen Gardens Schools
Families may also find themselves drawn to Aspen Gardens due to the number of well-rated schools in the area. These include both a public elementary and public junior high located within the community’s southeast corner. Countless other opportunities can be found within walking distance in the surrounding neighbourhoods.
Designated Public Schools:
- Westbrook School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Vernon Barford School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Harry Ainlay School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Boniface School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Louis St. Laurent School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Louis St. Laurent School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Did you know? The University of Alberta is also located just 10-minutes drive north of Aspen Gardens via 122nd Street and Belgravia Road.
Aspen Gardens is defined by Whitemud Creek Ravine to the west and north, 119th Street to the east and 39th Ave to the south. Although the community maintains a peaceful, semi-secluded atmosphere, several major thoroughfares can be found nearby. These include Whitemud Drive to the immediate north as well as Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard a few blocks east.
Aspen Gardens is primarily car-dependent, though there are a few bus routes operating in the area. Edmonton’s Capital LRT line can also be accessed via Southgate Mall or Century Park Station in the neighbouring community of Blue Quill.
Are you thinking of buying or selling a home in Edmonton? Download your FREE copy of buyer and seller resources:
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Edmonton Neighbourhood – Find your perfect home in your ideal community!
- Home Buyer’s Guide – Step by step, we’ll walk you through the home buying process from start to finish.
- Home Seller’s Guide – Your how-to guide on selling your home quickly and for top dollar!
- A Step by Step Guide to Renovating Your Home (For a Great Sale) – Get the most out of your home’s sale with this comprehensive renovation guide.