Looking for an affordable, amenity-friendly neighbourhood in the heart of Northeast Edmonton? Look no further than vibrant Kildare. A mature community situated in Northeast Edmonton’s Londonderry district, Kildare boasts a unique blend of versatile home styles and desirable commercial amenities (including popular Londonderry Mall). Overall, Kildare’s laid-back atmosphere, paired with its unbeatable location, make it the perfect place to call home for buyers of all budgets and lifestyles.
Did you know? All neighbourhoods within the Londonderry district take their name from Irish towns and counties. Located in eastern Ireland, “Kildare” is the anglicized name for Cill-dara, Gaelic for “church of the oak.”
Real Estate and Homes For Sale in Kildare
Kildare was first established in the 1960s, with construction continuing throughout the 1970s and into the early 80s. Single-family properties account for just under half of all homes within the area and consist of starter home-sized bungalows to 4-level splits. Detached models in Kildare also feature an average of four bedrooms, three bathrooms and 1,100 square feet of living space. Though most homes in Kildare are 50+ years old, they often come equipped with modern upgrades (renovated kitchens and bathrooms, new countertops and flooring, updated appliances and systems, etc.) and oversized lots.
Townhomes account for another 25% of home styles within Kildare, with a large concentration of attached properties located in the community’s far northwest corner. Three-bedroom, two-bathroom townhome prices typically start in the low 300s and offer plenty of family-friendly features, including private yard spaces, finished basements and ample storage.
Last but not least, the neighbourhood also holds a small number of low-maintenance apartment-style condos and duplexes. Perfect for first-time buyers and Edmonton real estate investors, apartment units in Kildare are very affordable, with prices starting below $100,000.
Average Listing Price in Kildare: $243,000
Did you know? According to the Areavibes, Kildare has an excellent liveability score (73%). In addition, it ranks 99% better than other areas in both Alberta and Canada when it comes to amenities, cost of living and schools.
Kildare Community Amenities
One of Northeast Edmonton’s most amenity-friendly neighbourhoods, Kildare offers residents convenient access to shops, services, restaurants, recreation venues and more. Londonderry Mall is Kildare’s most notable feature, containing over 150 stores and services, including big-box retailers, grocers and a public library. Northgate Centre and North Town Centre are also located just a 6-minute drive to the community’s west.
Other nearby amenities include:
- Christy’s Corner – Cineplex Odeon, restaurants, miscellaneous shops and services
- Clareview Town Centre – Costco, Walmart, Superstore, etc.
- Century Casino and Hotel Edmonton
- Manning Town Centre – Cineplex, Lowe’s, Canadian Tire, etc.
- Northeast Community Health Centre
- Skyview/ North City/ Palisades Shopping Centres (numerous big-box retailers, restaurants, shops and services)
- And more!
Did you know? Kildare’s mixed land uses can be mainly attributed to Londonderry Mall and St. Michael’s Cemetery, which encompasses the community’s entire southwest corner.
Parks and Recreation
In addition to a large park site featuring playgrounds, sports fields, a skating rink and plenty of open green space, Kildare houses an active community league. An integral part of the neighbourhood, the league hosts a variety of family-oriented activities and events throughout the year, including a community garden, various sports programs, social groups and more. Kildare also sits within proximity to several popular leisure centres such as:
- Castledowns Family YMCA
- Clareview Community Recreation Centre
- Grand Trunk Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Londonderry Fitness and Leisure Centre
- O’Leary Fitness and Leisure Centre
Other recreational amenities near Kildare include:
Did you know? Kildare is also home to the Northgate Lions Recreation Centre / Association. Established over 40 years ago, the association provides recreational, social, educational and wellness programs to aging Edmontonians and is recognized as the city’s most prominent senior’s centre.
Locally, Kildare is home to a public elementary school, serving grade K-6 students throughout the community. Additional educational opportunities, such as junior and senior high schools (both public and Catholic), preschools, kindergartens, daycares and more, can be easily accessed in the surrounding neighbourhoods.
Designated Public Schools:
- Kildare School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Londonderry School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- M.E. Lazerte School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Designated Catholic Schools:
- St. Philip School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- St. Anne School (Designated Grade K-6 School)
- Cardinal Leger School (Designated Grade 7-9 School)
- Archbishop O’Leary School (Designated Grade 10-12 School)
Commuting from Kildare
Kildare is bounded by 82nd Street to the west, 144th Ave to the north, 66th Street to the east and 137th Ave to the south. 82nd Street is particularly convenient for residents requiring access to the downtown core, accessible in under 20 minutes. In addition, 66th Street provides a streamlined commute to both the Yellowhead Highway, Fort Road (Wayne Gretzky Drive) and the north Anthony Henday. 137th Ave is also convenient, as it offers direct access to many of north Edmonton’s major shopping hubs.
Transit opportunities in and around Kildare are rated as “good,” with various routes operating throughout the area. The Northgate Transit Centre is also located within walking distance, and both the Clareview and Belvedere LRT stations (Capital LRT line) can be reached within a 10-minute drive.
Did you know? Edmonton’s future Capital LRT line expansion will see Capital LRT line service extended from Century Park to Ellerslie Road.
- Your Ultimate Guide to Edmonton Real Estate – Highlighting Edmonton’s many distinct quadrants and the fantastic neighbourhoods they include
- Your All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Edmonton Neighbourhood – Zero-in on your perfect home in your dream neighbourhood with this easy-to-follow guide.
- 20 Common Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Home – Avoid these common home buying pitfalls!